Thursday 26 November 2015

Humans In My Life - Tammo Bakker


"Since I was a child I have often felt a bit like an outsider towards ‘groups’ of people. During my child years I was nearly obsessed with the army, and at many points in my life I actually wanted to enlist. But with the passing of time and the discovery that I was good at school, this moved to the background and it became a better option to study.

I did a liberal arts education, but I was never good at making choices. I started and did not finish several majors, eventually graduating with a major in sustainable development. For some years now I have a passion for international politics. I had always had a passion for Africa, and the Middle East was later added to this. On the one hand I’m fascinated by the military and violence but on the other hand I would consider myself a pacifist. Rationally I recognise there are only losers in warfare and that the suffering it induces is a great loss to humanity.
Maybe that is also the reason I wanted to go to Egypt instead of the more stable countries in the region. I also have a longstanding wish to go to Afghanistan. Not because of the violence, but because the country is relatively untouched by modern influences (somewhere deep within me I reject modern society which is partially a result of a strong search for meaning).
Where in the past that ‘outsider’ feeling was a bad thing, these days it strongly works in my advantage. Academically I’m very bright at the moment, and my grades are really good. I'm almost finishing my pre-master Middle Eastern studies at the moment. Typical for me, my mind has changed several times about what I should do when I'm done in a month. I’m thinking to take next semester off and find myself an internship somewhere abroad".



From me to you: Dude! I loved reading your two paged essay. I could literally picture you in each paragraph. But I had to cut it short and all this is what stood out to me. 
Is there anything that you don't do? It seems like your life has been packed (though the few down hills during your later teens but everyone has those moments). 
You are an interesting individual who I could literally talk to for hours because you always have stories and experiences to share - the one about the cat attacking you which I will never forget. I admire your passion for travelling and we share the same interest in the Middle East. If you ever go Afghanistan, let a sister in on the deal because it is such an amazing place and similarly to you, I like visiting the unseen or places that have not been so exposed to this western culture. Maybe that's why I loved Khan El Khalili - it had culture. Its nice to see that you have turned this 'outsider' feeling into something positive. It's good to stand out rather than be 'another person in the group'. You certainly do stand out and it would be a pleasure to meet you again in the future if we get the chance. And I promise you, I will keep my complaining to a minimum. (I still cannot believe just how much you had to handle my b**** side. Good luck for the future. Until we meet again my friend. 

Check out my last blog post:

Follow my personal and social Instagram pages for pictures and updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment