Thursday 23 April 2015

Health & Fitness Day 16 & 17

My second to last blog post on this 'healthy eating' attempt.
I am a family person and I do spend a lot of time going out and dining. Times like these are hard because everyone chooses their meal easily 'a burger and chips' or 'a pizza with some cool toppings'. I have actually become rather bored of Salad and the colourful plate doesn't excite me as much as it did 2-3 weeks ago so I try not to go with salad when I am out. 

Day 16 (Tuesday)
21.04.2015
Breakfast & Lunch
After downing a cuppa tea for breakfast and going to the Sky Garden on Fenchurch Street, which by the way gives you an amazing close up view of London, we went to eat out in a not so expensive yet tasty place on Brick Lane - Jungle Brai. When I first went there, I fell in love with the beef steak. It is not so thick and just enough to fill you up. (sorry no pics. I got caught up in eating) While I tucked into my steak and roasted potatoes, I could not help but stab my fork into a few chips on the plate next to. Bad Salma! 

Dinner
It has been a very long time since I have had brown rice. Yes it is still carbs but much better than white rice which is actually very sweet. I realised how a handful of it was enough to fill me up. A handful of rice, pasta or any food is actually recommended but in Asian households, one handful of rice is never enough. People go for seconds and thirds. (Guilty) 

Day 17 (Wednesday)
22.04.2015
Breakfast
Boiled egg, salmon, feta cheese avec sun dried tomato. Oh and a cuppa tea.

Lunch
Vegetable curry with brown rice. And chicken curry. 
You see, a vegetable curry sounds all healthy but when it is cooked in a South Asian house, there is nothing healthy about it! Yes it can have up to five vegetables, even ten, but it is cooked with spices (not bad) and like a truck full of oil (bad) and all the nutrients in the vegetables actually vanish. So where we may be thinking we are eating our five a day, we are probably only eating the nutrients equivalent to half a vegetable. 
Tip for the future: Do not have south Asian food if you want to go on a healthy diet. (Western food can be bland but be creative with it and it will actually be healthier for you).

Dinner
I went for a swim, the only bit of exercise I have done after my first week aside from walking around. But walking is hardly exercising. (Unless you're speed walking). Normally when swimming, I get tired and out of breath after my first lap which is 25 metres (I think) which is nothing! The last time I went swimming two weeks ago, my shoulder blades were in pain but this time, I managed to do nearly 10 laps or more and I felt like I could go on forever. I do not feel any aches or pains and I was not out of breath much today.

For dinner I had a grilled vegetable burger with a bed of Salad (yay...)
And a glass of white (Shloer - Grape & Elderflower). I actually try and avoid drinking fizzy drinks with my meals. Not only does it fill me up faster, it also leaves me bloated and heavy. We should not actually drink while eating as our body cannot digest two things at once but if we really need to, water is ideal. And a warm drink after our meal to help digestion especially if we have eaten meat. (Chinese people often drink tea after their meals hence why they are healthy and have a nice physique.)

To end the evening, my amazing mother cut up some fruits as she does time to time because we are too lazy to go through the effort outselves. Mango, oranges and kiwi - which actually has more vitamin C than an orange.
So that's my past two days. Only 2 more days until my last blog post on this journey.
Before I end this, I'll throw in a bit of honesty. I had a Snickers bar and some Maltesars today. But lets not concentrate on the less important things in life...
I hope ya'll enjoyed this. 

Peace out 

Check out days 9-15

No comments:

Post a Comment